PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Conflicted

Second shift today so I had a free morning to create several cards today! This one is for Ike's World Challenges Blog, whose NEW CHALLENGE is to create a project using the sketch located in this post.
I used an image called Cognitive Thoughts, one of my fave images from Ike's Art. After coloring her with Copics, I popped her onto a frame of patterned paper. The sketch called for a strip of papers behind the image, as well as a set of three embellishments in the left upper corner.
I wanted to reach out to all those who feel conflicted with their identity or their responsibilities. The girly part of personalities may conflict with the sporty, edgy side of them. The pink and blue contrast brings out the conflicting thoughts that can war in a young adult's mind.
I'm conflicted right now. My gram is 104 years old. I love her, and she has been the matriarch of my family, and a role model to me while growing up. She taught me how to sew, crochet, needle craft, play cards, bake bread, and other worthwhile hobbies and habits. She took care of me and my sisters and cousins at times throughout our lives.
It's our turn now. A nursing home is not an option. She'll receive the care I know she deserves, but from previous experience, we know it will cause her dementia to take over her personality.
The conflict lies with time. The unrelenting schedule of evenings and weekends to visit her, feed her and take care of her needs is wearing down on all three of us. I share a dose of self-pity and self-loathing. I am a granddaughter, but I am also a mom and wife. We are now doing the things she did for us when we were babies. I cry out my stress on the way to her house, yet her smile upon seeing me lights up the room.
But...It's getting to the point where I almost resent the time taken up to care for her.
So, I am conflicted.
Other Challenges I am Entering:
Scrap & Craft Inspiration - Anything Goes

10 comments:

samara navi said...

Wow! That is the most honest post I have ever read. I'd like to mail you something personal so if you wish, please email me at samaranavi@gmail.com. it is right on the money to what you are referring to!!!! OKay your card...brilliant!!! I love the conflict in the colors - to me - that is normal - to be boy and girl, to be sad and happy, to be up and down - all in the same moment - so I am so at peace with your amazing piece of art! You have done an absolutely stellar job in my mind of producing something so worthy of the things your discuss. I hope I hear from you. Thanks for coming to Ike's World Challenge. Best Always, Samara DT.

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Wow what a fantastic card love the colouring of Ike's image.Thank you for joining us at Ike's World Challenges good luck Ginny ♥

ike said...

This is just brilliant and I totally get where you are coming from !!! A very thought provoking piece.
Thank you very much for sharing this with us over at IKEsWORLD CHALLENGES and for using one of my images. :-)

Hugz
IKE x

Lady E said...

Absolutely stunning card! Beautiful colors :) Thank you for sharing with us at Scrap & Craft and Good Luck!
Lady E Scrap & Craft DT
www.scrapartbyladye.blogspot.co.uk

lalkygirl said...

what a wonderful card ,thanks for sharing your thoughts on what the design means to you...Thanks also for a very poigniant and thought provoking post ..I am sure so many people in your situation feel exactly the same and will empathise with you and your honesty on how you feel...I hope things get easier for you and your family ...
Thanks for joining us at Auds sentiment designs and good luck in the challenges
tracey x

Unknown said...

Oh bless it is a hard time for you but those are normal feelings so dont be hard on yourself.

Great card.

Thank you for playing along with us at Aud Sentiments.

Tracey DTx

Matney said...

Amazing and creative way to use Ike's image for this Sketch Challenge. Great take on the embellies and papers. Thank you for entering this round, Shoni-DT

Sall said...

This brought tears to my eyes, it's perfect and not just the art, you are a very talented writer too. I'd also like to say it REALLY warms my heart to know that someone else is prepared to care for family too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat, Your card is beautiful as is the image. Your post is as the other ladies have said very thought provoking. I know exactly what you mean, I to have been in this situation only last year with my brother. It's very hard. But yes when you see that smile everything looks so different. Wishing you all the very best.

Hugs Erin xx

Hugs Erin

Shelley said...

This is stunning! Such fabulous choice of colours, the image seems really striking. Thank you for playing along with us at IWC