PagesPat's Ponderings

Monday, August 4, 2014

A Blog Hop with a Difference

I was invited to this blog hop with a difference by Lisa from the Path of Positivity. This hop gives me free rein to write and showcase any of my work, as well as answer four questions about my creativity. In turn, I have chosen three bloggers and their links who I have "tagged" to continue this blog hop with a difference. Those are below. Now for the answers to the questions:
1. What am I working on?
I just sent off a personal essay for the Path of Positivity. I love to write. I've been having a torrid love affair with the English language since the second grade, when Sister Carlene applauded my short story and told me I was destined to be a writer. On the crafty front, I design for Squigglefly Designs as well as for Lisa at the Path of Positivity, and join in challenges on a regular basis. Above is a card I created for the Digi Stamps 4 Joy Progressive Christmas Card challenge using Snowglobe by Margy from DS4J. I created an easel card after fussy-cutting the image. The faux snow on the image is homemade "SoftSnow." It's easy to make--all you need is two balls of styrofoam and rub them together, then gather it all into a container. 
I'm also into watercolors. I started with kids' water paints and cardstock, and graduated to cold pressed paper with lots of tooth and liquid water colors.  Here's one I recently painted from a photo taken while visiting Seattle, Washington. Between my photos and Pinterest, I'll run out of paints before I run out of inspiration.  
The last project to show you is a shadowbox I made of my son's wedding last July. My mom liked it so much I decided to make one for her as well, and it is sitting on my craft table until I get the time to put hers together. This is what it will look like. And let me tell you, if I had gone around the world looking for the perfect wife for my son, I couldn't have done better than the one he chose for himself!! 
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Every artist puts his or her sweat, emotions and heart into each work, whether it's a card, a layout, a canvas or journaling. I am an eclectic artist in that I am all over the place. The companies for whom I design never know if I will give them a fancy-fold card or a piece of altered art, a piece of room decor or a mini album. I like it that way--keeps them on their toes. LOL
3. Why do I do what I do?
Why do birds sing? Why do stars twinkle in the sky? I do what I love and love what I do. I feel blessed to be able to create with paper and paint and words. I was never one to look a gift in the horse's mouth (or is it a gift horse in the mouth?), so if I can do it, I will do it. End of story!
4. How do I come up with stuff?
I very rarely have a sketch or plan when I sit down to make a card. I just root around my craft room with an image I want to use and wait for the muse to attack me. And you know what? She never ever fails to do so! There is so much inspiration out there if you only keep your eyes and heart open to all the endless possibilities. Color, texture, scents, memories, music--they're all I need...that and a tall cool glass of iced tea. 
Now on to the crafters I've "tagged" that I think you might find interesting. Please check them out and leave a little love.

JOYCE GUTHRIDGE - Joyce and I are co-administrators of Your Scrapbook Place Challenge blog, and both members of SBP Yahoo Group. She crafts from sketches and templates so we are totally opposites and yet great crafting friends. Her projects always inspire me, and I know they will you, too!
VIOLET - Violet is a writer, and her blog posts shout passionately about self-respect, loving yourself and psoitivity. I enjoy her youthful and colorful discoveries, experiments and exercises she shares with her readers to help them over the hump of self-criticism, doubt and depression. 
VIRGINIA - Virginia is an avid cardmaker and talented crafter. She has a brand new blog and would love to see more crafters checking out her art and leaving some love.

That's all for now, my crafty peeps! Happy hopping!


No comments: