PagesPat's Ponderings

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cool Bookmark for a Summer Read

Hello, crafters!  I have been trying to take time out to make this awesome bookmark, and I finally decided to skip the dishes and lock myself in my craft room until I finished it.  I found my inspiration while flipping through the yellowed pages of a cast off book from a rummage sale.  There was a receipt card in its pages that was dated 1985 (that was the year my son was born).
It had a semi-circular cut at the top that a reader could slip the top edge of the page into that she wanted to save.  I thought what a clean, simple design for a bookmark, and so I inked up my Queen Kat Designs "Snowball" stamp, designed by artist Terra Bidlespacher.  After coloring her with Copics (the image, not Terra), I tore it to create a natural frame.
Being a bookmark, I had to keep my project flat, so I used a winter-themed patterned paper, a coordinating blue patterned paper and a strip of leftover white cardstock to bring my snowflake border to life.  I colored another leftover strip of the white cardstock to place behind my image as a sort of ribbon embellishment, coloring it with the pink-shaded Copic with which I colored her outfit.
The tiny snowflakes that were punched out with the punch I used for the border were rescued and adhered to my "scene".  For the semi-circular cut that holds the bookmark in place, I used the medium-sized circle template from the Creative Memories Circle Cutting System.
Now I can keep my cool when my reading is interrupted, and know that I can get back to my summer read without losing my place!
I have a girls' day out coming up soon with my mom and sisters, and they are all avid readers.  I think a little handmade goody is in order, don't you?!  I just picked up a few Christmas romances from my local Goodwill store, and I can slip the bookmarks into them for a little "Christmas in July" giftie!
If you like what you see, leave me some love.  If you like the image, check it out HERE along with Terra's other offerings.

No comments: