PagesPat's Ponderings

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Inspiration from Tim Holtz

I am new to the world of distress inks, so when I saw a link to Tim Holtz demonstrating how to use them in various ways, I jumped on it.  You can find the video HERE.
I didn't actually plan on creating something yesterday, but as I searched my basement for party supplies for this coming weekend, I found a pad of disposable palette paper.  I realized that it worked just like a craft mat, in that you can ink it up, get it wet, etc.  Only instead of wiping it clean, you throw away each sheet as it's used up (I used to oil paint and this was a leftover from those days).
Anyway, I took out the only four ink pads I owned of Distress Inks: Vintage Photo, Tea Dye, Tattered Rose and Bundled Sage. I looked through my collection of stamped images to see what would go with that scant collection of ink colors, and came up with a House Mouse image.
So first I tried a distress technique I saw on the video, pressing my ink pads onto the palette paper and spritzing it with a little water.  Then I folded white cardstock to make a card base and pressed the front into the ink. I let this dry and repeated a few times until I liked what I saw.  I used my Blending Tool to distress the edges with a deeper ink coloring, and my card base was complete!
Next I blotted the same colors onto my palette paper and using my waterbrush from CTMH, I "painted" my HM image, using only the four colors I mentioned above.  To finish off the coloring of the image, I did use a Zig Brushables marker on the raindrops.
I framed the image onto dark brown paper, adhered it onto my card base, and added some bling on the side "Say It in Crystals" border bling by Prima Marketing.
So a big thank you Tim for helping me over a hurdle and stepping out of my comfort zone!  Now I want to buy up all the Distress Ink pads I can find! Mwahaha!!!

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh...great job Pat! What have you been waiting on..you did a great job with this technique!! Love it!
Hugs,T

Holly Young said...

Beautiful job on this Pat. Your coloring is awesome, and I love the lace and bling down the side.