PagesPat's Ponderings

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hearts for the Homeless Dinner

A few posts back, I showed off some of the Auction Basket banners for the Catholic Charities Hearts for the Homeless Fundraising Dinner.  I was just told that they needed five more banners, and the coordinator of the shindig absolutely loved my banners!  I got a chance to introduce myself when she came out to present information (and make a plea) for their food drive.  Here in Des Plaines, Catholic Charities can buy from the Chicago Food Bank the food that they distribute at their food pantry, at ten times the purchasing power of our own dollars.  So our Religious Education program (formerly known as CCD) is hosting an Un-Food Drive.  So far we've raised over $1200 in just four classes, which amounts to over $12,000 worth of food to distribute to those in need!! 
Anyway, the Hearts for the Homeless is a program that (duh) helps homeless individuals and families get back on their feet.  This annual event is their big fundraiser of the year, and last year I donated a couple baskets to auction off.  This year, I donated items to put into baskets, as well as these handmade banners that hopefully will catch the eye (and the wallet) of the guests.
Most of the baskets hold a night at a local (or downtown Chicago) hotel and a gift card.  My first banner is themed Romantic getaway.  I used a digi image from Squigglefly called Badonkadonk (one of my faves), by artist Chesney Young. I colored her with Copics, Stickled her lipstick and heels, and placed her on some luscious patterned paper that was leftover from a project. I popped the lettering with black dots, and added a couple of handmade flowers (thank you, Shannon) and some pearls to embellish, framing the whole thing in black and adhering it to foam board.
The second banner has a birthday theme, and I mixed and matched the letters to spell out Birthday Surprise.  I used a real birthday candle for the first "i", and added a couple "balloons" (punched circles and snips of wire wrapped around the last letter).
I'm bringing these two to work tomorrow because our Youth Director, who also co-chairs the event, is going to wrap up more baskets and can bring them along.  I should be able to finish the other three needed on Saturday, when I get to crop with my peeps!!  Can't wait, need to scrapbook so badly, but I get such short time chuinks in my craft room that cards are all I have time for!
p.s. My first banner is going into the Squigglefly challenge--this week it's Anything Goes, as long as you use a Squigglefly image.  Go check them out!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Great banners! I'm sure they will help to bring some cash!!

Holly Young said...

That's wonderful that they recognized your talent and hard work on the banners Pat. They really did turn out great! I love them!